Tuesday, February 23, 2010

vanity

I don't think I am particularly vain. Honestly -- less vain than average, wouldn't you say? As one simple but telling example: a clandestine bonus of having a solo private practice is that I get to bypass the annoyance of deciding on a new outfit every day, because I only see people once a week. For the most part, I can get away with wearing the same thing for several days in a row. Sure, sure, I'll change the necessities, the undershirt (if I must), etc., but I'll replace it with an identical one the following day. Mostly I am freed from the norm wherein we all agree not to repeat outfits in a certain span of time.

For a dozen years or more, Laura and I were exactly the same size. That was handy. She'd come home from work and rather than throw her outfit into the hamper, would ask if I wanted to wear it to school the next day. Yes! Yes, of course. Problem du outfit du jour solved. We had to make a few accommodations here and there -- my folksy had to meet her preppy halfway -- but it worked. Now hormones and genetics are having their way with us and we are veering apart in the clothing department, though we still have two identical pairs of clogs and boots, and our sneakers are interchangeable. As she approaches a buxom menopause and I leave bras behind forever, we remember the wardrobe-sharing days fondly.

Anyway, I don't think too much about my appearance, or how others might be judging it. Still, along my own continuum of vanity, the chemo-related changes in my appearance are freaking me out a little bit. I wish I were above it all. I had a bad moment yesterday when I looked in the mirror and didn't recognize myself. My forehead is endless, of course, there being no familiar boundary markers to get my bearings on what I was seeing -- my face just went on and on into my scalp. Theoretically, my face goes all the way to the back of my head now. Steroids had made me puffy, and I'm pasty and wan. Though Laura has been her usual turning-toward self, I am unhappy about those moments when she looks over: I'm asleep, my eyes are crusty (terrible dryness issues with chemo, and the eyes try to compensate), my mouth is probably ajar, my forehead is like a sandbar at low tide, and oh, look, my tongue is white, too. Does she think to herself, "There's my breast-less, pasty, bald wife with her eyes stuck shut! Gosh, she's cute"? I think not.

It's just not something you want someone who is supposed to be attracted to you to see. 

I also had a bizarre moment stepping out of the shower recently when a little round band-aid, placed over my port by the nurse, fell off as I toweled down. I thought maybe an earlobe had fallen off -- just for a second, but still! When body parts are getting lopped off, or turning strange colors, and one doesn't recognize one's own face, it is not beyond the imagination to have an earlobe slough off. Here is a photo of the evidence that made my eyes pop for a second. It may not look that much like an earlobe this close up, but it sure did on the bathroom floor. Scared the heck out of me.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Paula, I didn't have a place to say this before, but you have given me the perfect opportunity this evening. Since we finally met in person only a week ago, i have nothing to compare the you I met last week to your matched set recollections. Having said that I intended to say to Laura the next time I see her that I was struck by how pretty you are. Feels like the right time now. Of course you are going to worry, but a radiant essence shines through any of these TEMPORARY external reactions to the chemicals.

    In addition, I am feeling so guilty because I laugh out loud at your posts and I KNOW you were freaked out in the shower!!!

    When I get really anxious, I have a recurring dream of opening my mouth and all of my teeth go to dust and crumble as I look in the mirror.

    I have an idea! Let's take our excellent imaginations and write a movie script dealing with the Horror Story of the changes in a Woman's Body at "un certain age". The Menopauseville Horror? Catchy????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, I had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my nose-- left nostril-- in October and I'm convinced my nose is now slightly lopsided. Actually, it really is. You haven't seen it yet, Paula, but you will. (Me and my nose, that is). Major narcissistic wound. Now, I know that this is small potatoes compared to having your earlobe fall off, but your wonderful posting gives me a chance to admit how preoccupied I've been with my wounded schnooze. And at least you'll be prepared next time we see each other.
    Love you no matter how you/we look,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula, When I peek in the mirror at 6am, I think, "Who let Ma in?"

    (Ma btw is a perfectly nice, active 81 yr. old breast cancer survivor, among other things, who hasn't aged much since she was around 60, so soon we will be identicle twins!) Still- not my self-image.

    As far as attractiveness goes, you KNOW that true love stretches way beyond that stage, right? In fact, it doesn't even really begin
    until that initial stage is over.

    Nevertheless, from your photos, I think that you look amazingly beautiful!

    Sorry about the earlobe scare! Interesting note to self and other medical people to warn patients of. "You might see something that looks like a _________ but it's only an old bandaid".

    Hope the same generosity and kindness that you are extending flows back to you ten-fold.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not crazy. When Jeff Goldblum made 'The Fly', one review compared his erratic & unexpected loss of body parts to the feelings of chronically ill patients. Luckily, we are more than our body, or we'd all be really sunk. It's very clear that Laura loves you, not to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Paula, you are so beautiful! Your cancer and chemotherapy have led you to this public journal by which you show us dazzling new dimensions of your beauty, strength and wisdom that might have remained unappreciated but for your travail. I hope you feel the Light. Love, Lee

    ReplyDelete