Thursday, December 16, 2010

Pendle Hill

This is the last day of my 5-day sojourn at Pendle Hill, a Quaker community outside Philadelphia. It's been just right. I have spent most of it writing in my closed room, a simple space in the brick "Main House." I go down for meals or the daily Meeting for Worship, or to raid the granola stash. I've had some good walks around the property, including several rounds through the bamboo labyrinth.

The people who live here are kind and welcoming, as you might imagine. They've chosen to be part of a very deliberate community, and everyone helps out with dishes, furniture repair, folding laundry. There are several students here -- most at least 40 years old -- who have come for spiritual guidance, Quaker study, and Pendle Hill's courses on art and spirituality. The students come from all over the world and stay for a couple of months or longer.

I'm comfortable here, in a Quaker setting. If my life circumstances were different, I could actually see myself living at Pendle Hill for an extended period of time. But if I lived here, I'd want to shake things up just a bit.

There's not a lot of humor, self-deprecating or otherwise, and I feel myself keeping my own sense of humor on a leash. A number of people sojourn here under spiritual duress: some have lost their way spiritually, some are just pretty serious folk. By definition, they're comfortable with silence, and sometimes that energy feels a little heavy. You don't hear a lot of guffawing.

Yesterday I made the smallest joke and my lunch table cracked up with surprise. Funny seems to be a surprise in a spiritual community, and that is something I'd want to be otherwise.

But I'm grateful to this community for taking me in for this sojourn. I am leaving a donation for the student from Benin who arrived a week ago and is as skinny as a broom. He has been cold ever since his plane touched down. I want to buy him some long underwear for the winter.

I'm also going to refresh the "Bacon Endowment" for the kitchen. Ten years ago a sojourner left a $75 contribution to buy a few bacon breakfasts for the community. They ate their way through that in short order, but became attached to having bacon now and then. Now it's a treat every couple of weeks. Everyone came for bacon breakfast a few days ago. We ate strips of a local, organically raised pig, which made us feel better about the indulgence. But I think we would have eaten bacon imported by fossil fuel from Argentina and carried the long way around the globe, it smelled so good.

Because other than that, the food is mostly vegan, and local produce. In December, the pickings are slimmer than other times of year, and the emphasis is on...let's say the durability of the cellulose. Last night was the weekly silent dinner, and we ate raw cabbage and onion, cooked kale, and a lentil salad. Since there was no conversation, the crunch, crunch, crunch throughout the dining hall was pretty funny. Thank goodness I wasn't allowed to say anything. I was so tempted to moo.

4 comments:

  1. Every religious community needs a little sacrilege now and then, don't you think? There is something so appealing about the sincerity and quiet and simplicity there. And bacon every once in a while from a local pig. A definite plus. I'm glad to hear the experience was positive and productive.....and that the place mooved you :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Paula,
    So glad you got away! Pendle Hill sounds wonderful- thanks for introducing me to it. Perhaps, someday I'll get to visit there myself on my travels back and forth between Boston and Phillie.

    But, I agree with you, I could not LIVE without humor and good-natured sarcasm (that's how my Irish siblings and I express our affection best)!

    I also agree with your distaste for oysters. I know they are supposed to be a delicious delicacy. My late husband LOVED them! I once had to rush him to the ER after he stuck a rusty knife through his palm trying to shuck one. He slurped them up with gusto! And, look where that got him (insert gallows humor here)!

    Life is enough of an oyster for me.

    http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2010/12/14/Raw-Bar-Selection_3__1292443024_7230.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha! I am so happy for you! You made me laugh out loud at the end of your post- I startled Peter with my outburst:)
    I love this post, especially because you are so YOU in this. I mean, you are always you, of course, but you used to make me laugh this way when we were 20! It's wonderful, and merry. I am glad you found a nearly perfect place to retreat and write and find some solitude - I mean, Pendle Hill is legendary.
    Look for a card,letter, and photos soon. Love and happiness to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula, so glad to hear about the retreat..your Quaker roots. Tibetan Buddhists have such a great sense of humor, even after all the adversity they've experienced. But as it becomes an ongoing American Buddhists, the American Buddhists have made it as serious as the Roman Catholic Church in Latin. They have mistakenly left the humor behind. I plan to live in a spiritual community later in life.

    ReplyDelete