Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dear Dr. Duxin


The Imaging Center
65 Memorial Rd, Suite 510
West Hartford, CT   06107                       

Dear Dr. Duxin:

When I got called back for a repeat mammogram, I snorted with annoyance. What a hassle. Cancel meetings, drive to town, strip down, squish, squeeeeeze, hold your breath, okay breathe. Whatever.

Even when they showed me the spot on the what-the-heck-am-I-looking-at film, I thought little of it.  A little troubling, sure. But I have no risk factors that might lead to cancer. I am healthy and am an excellent steward of my consistently reliable body. Family members have lived to 105 in good health! This will be nothing.

Then the second mammogram quickly morphed into an ultrasound. Then a biopsy. Then cancer. 

I picture you, of unknown age, gender, background, and hue. Your desk is covered with gray and whitish pictures of flattened breast tissue. You are eating your lunch, perhaps. Maybe sipping some coffee. My films are next in the pile. There is a faintest of shadows on the right breast – hardly distinguishable from all the other splotches and spots and specks on the film. You take another bite of your sandwich, another sip of your coffee, and stare at the shadow. You circle it.

You saved my life. Thank you, from the heart of my heart.

I miss having breasts, and sometimes that is hard. Sometimes I am afraid. But the truth is: I feel like one of the luckiest people I know, because you noticed a shadow.

I hope this finds you well, and living a life populated by friends and family who love you and care deeply about your well-being. I hope you laugh often. That the coffee tastes rich and delicious, that your memories are happy. That you and those you love live long and well. 

paula chu

4 comments:

  1. Hi, friends and followers. Some have said they're having trouble leaving a comment. I don't know what is wrong -- it's something with Google, I think. My settings invite comments. But don't worry, don't worry. Thank you for the thought, regardless -- and thanks for being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another attempt.......This is a test. This is only a test. When you hear the sirens there is no need to proceed to your basement. Should this be a real emergency you will hear hollering intermittently with the sounding of sirens. At this time, it will be advisable to proceed to your basement........ Did it work????? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! SUCCESS :-). Finally figured out how to make it happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Paula,
    I am very moved and inspired by your writing. It is so heartfelt without being sentimental. I have a "close call" mamo story of mine own which I need to write and will.

    I am very glad that Dr.Duxin was doing the job he/she chose and was trained to do. Our lives on this planet are so intertwined, so interdependent. Much of the time, this fact is not in our consciousness as we go about the tasks and activities of our independent, daily lives. We simply take it for granted.

    This story and others, including your previous one, remind us to be more aware of and thankful for our shared community.

    ReplyDelete