Monday, November 21, 2011

peekaboo

What. What.

You thought I was ending taotechu? Guess I fooled, well, us -- all 54 of us, or the 5 that are still listening.

Which reminds me of a story. Last week, Laura was trying to figure out how big a turkey you need to get in order to feed the crowd we are hosting on Thanksgiving. She found her way to a website that had a little trivia quiz. "How many Pilgrims were at the first Thanksgiving?" it asks. She reads the question to me at the breakfast table. "Hey, let's guess," she says. We each take a few seconds. "Gee, I dunno," I say. "Could be like 100. Or maybe 12."

I'm breaking walnuts and sprinkling them over my Grape Nuts. She is staring at the screen. "How about 43?" I say between bites. "43," she types in.
"What's the real answer?" I ask.
"Huh. It doesn't say," she says, searching the site. "Oh, here it is. 43! Oh. That's us. Huh."

It turns out she was on a page asking for an expert answer to someone's sincere question. Some kid typed in her homework question, waited for the answer, and then put our stab-in-the-dark response into her little essay. It's somewhere out on the web, and other kids in other Novembers will no doubt have the same question asked of them: "How many Pilgrims were at the first Thanksgiving?" They'll be pleased to so easily find our definitive, authoritative-sounding "43." They'll write that down and hand it in.

This is how history is formed and recorded.

Mind you, it is only now, as I take a picture of our pronouncement, that I see that the question is about "pilgrams." I like to think that would have tipped me off.

Now I can't figure out how to segue back to the entry I intended to make about all the broken trees the storm left behind.

I will post this and see if anyone is still here with me. Then, I want to say something about broken trees.
And about cancer, too.

7 comments:

  1. Funny, Paula, I was just thinking of you and signed on to check if you had vanished yet, but, voilĂ , you're still here and I'm glad for it.

    Maybe, it's because of a mammo I have at 7am on Wednesday that I'm nervous about. You know, the one I "forgot" about 2 wks ago. The one that had to be repeated over and over again last year until I was bruised from it. The one the old radiologist, after he cleared me with an ultrasound, shook his finger at me and said, "Young lady, I want to see you again in exactly one year and not a day later!" You know...that one.

    Anyways, I think there were 36 Pilgrims at the first Thanksgiving and maybe 20 Native Americans. I don't know why, but those are the numbers that just popped into my sleepy head.

    As good a guess as any, I suppose.

    Happy Thanksgiving! We all have so MUCH to be grateful for. I know I do, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happened to check in again as well (funny synchronicity!) probably in part because I have to go in for another repeat mammogram on Friday. Darn. Creepy feeling: I can relate. I did some quick research on the Pilgrim Question;

    This source states there were 53 Pilgrims, and 90 men from the Native American Tribe (Wampanoag) in attendance. http://www.pilgrimhall.org/f_thanks.htm

    There were 4 married women, 5 adolescent girls, 9 adolescent boys, 13 young children and 22 men (unlabeled as to whether they were married or not), so evidently no unmarried women. This is how I keep my brain in shape and keep other preoccupying thoughts away...Have a wonderful holiday, I have loved reading your writing, and staying close in that way. Much Love to you,
    Lauralee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with that mammogram, Marilyn. It's 20 minutes to 7 as I write this and I'm sending good vibrations. Paula, peek! I still check your site all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn, Lauralee, and anyone else who has such a worry, I send light, love, and hopes for all good outcomes. Many thanks for hanging in there with me -- through thick, thin, blathering and silence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the light, love and good vibrations. I am cleared for another year! Another thing to be thankful for!!!

    And, thanks, Lauralee, for the history lesson. Best Wishes on Friday!

    Happy Thanksgiving, All.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm feelin the light and love, ladies! Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huh?! You're HERE still :-). I believed you. But the past few days I kept wondering if you had removed the site (is that actually possible? I thought once in cyberspace always in cyberspace.) Sorry to be so late in arriving at the gathering. Looking forward to that promised more, p! I hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving. Glad to hear you can take a breath again, Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete