Friday, April 15, 2011

By the time I get to Phoenix, I'll be a booby

Tao Te Chu shouldn't be a breast cancer blog anymore. Sure, all the descriptors still hold: I'm still introverted, still concave-chested, still got my little shadow of breast cancer following me around. But I don't want the shadow to define me; it comes and goes, like any shadow, depending on where I stand in relation to the light. Sometimes I can't even find it for long moments at a time.

And I don't think readers need to keep hearing about it. It's me again: Still in remission! Still think about it! Still run into people who give me grisly accounts of their sister's death by breast cancer! Kvetch, kvetch.

I need to let the phoenix die so it can come back anew. Right now, I know, I know. The blog looks pretty dead, a pile of ashes in a raggedy birdy mess of a nest. But if I'm very still and very quiet, I sometimes see a twig move here, a feather appear there. I am getting the sense that my blog's rebirth won't be the glorious Feng Wen phoenix of Chinese lore -- wings spread in an iridescent spectacle of power and renewal. I see it as maybe more like a blue-footed booby.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE how the picture of the blue footed booby lines up right next to that old picture of you. You in the past and you in the present :-). Waddling right into the present, p. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about adding music to your posts?.....I can hear Glenn Campbell now :-). Your wit, p. LOVE. IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just glad you caught it. I do kind of regret that such a strange song is still in my head after 40 years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue footed boobies are yesterday's phoenix! Bring 'em on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula, Love your positive attitude and brand, new blue Easter shoes!

    Joyeuse Pâques from Paris where I have been basking in mother-daughter love for a whole week. Lucky me!!!

    ReplyDelete