Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dear People at Tropicana

Dear People at Tropicana:
Could you please let me know how I can contact the very person who designed the new caps that are shaped like tiny oranges? Thank you in advance.

paula chu, Farmington CT

Dear Ms. Chu:
Thank you for contacting Tropicana. Please let me know the nature of your concern regarding the new caps on some of our products.

Dear Jill:
Thank you for getting back to me. You're worried that I swallowed a cap? It's nothing like that. I simply want to tell the person who designed the clever new cap that I so appreciate that extra bit of creativity. Someone thought of it, and I would love to write a brief note of positive feedback to that individual. Is there any way I could have the contact information for that person? Thanks so much!

Dear Ms. Chu:
Thank you again for your inquiry. Such decisions are made by teams of product design personnel at Tropicana, and as such there is not an individual responsible for the new caps. We are pleased that you like them, and I will be sure to send along your feedback to the design team. Thank you for your interest in Tropicana and its products.

Dear Jill:
I am so grateful for your patience with me. But I find it hard to believe that a team of people came up with the idea of an orange-shaped cap for your orange juice containers. I see instead some man or woman who thought of it, perhaps while pouring his or her morning juice, holding the ordinary cap in hand and having a little vitamin C-induced brainstorm. I would like to thank that individual. Could you ask the "team" to please direct my feedback to the individual whose idea it was originally?

Here is what I would like to say to that person:  Thank you for the cute little new orange-shaped caps on the half gallon orange juice containers. It's brilliant! I love that there is no "need" for this clever idea; it is just a wink to the world. I get it. Thank you. Here is a wink in return.

Dear Ms. Chu:
Thank you for your most recent email. Tropicana is pleased that you have been enjoying the new caps. I do apologize if my initial response seemed unduly cautious. We often receive feedback from customers that have a concern underneath, and my intent is to direct feedback along the proper channels. We hope you and your family continue to enjoy Tropicana products.


Dear Jill:
I would not expect you to remember me, but I wrote to Tropicana several months ago to throw happy confetti in the general direction of the person who designed the dimpled, orange-shaped cap on the orange juice containers. I was forlorn to see while shopping this week that Tropicana has gone back to the regular caps! What happened? I thought it was such a great idea.

Dear Ms. Chu:
Thank you for your interest in Tropicana and its products. The rounded caps were discontinued as a result of safety concerns. While no injuries occurred, there was a concern that the caps might appeal to small children, posing a potential hazard.
We hope you and your family continue to enjoy Tropicana products.


Dear Jill:
I realize that mine may be a voice in the consumer wilderness, but please convey to the individual  that designed the short-lived, dimpled, orange-shaped cap, that I'm sorry that we seem unable to cope with bright, rounded caps on our orange juice containers. It was a very creative idea, and made my o.j. pouring ritual a bit more delightful. I hope the designer is not discouraged and continues to think outside the box, as it were. Thank you, Jill, for your efficiency and patience as go-between in my little conversation with Tropicana. We will try to continue to enjoy Tropicana products, though I confess already I'm enjoying them a few drops less.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yeah. This is going to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My stomach hurts......I can't stop, laughing. And, Ellen....your comment....only added to my pain. Thanks. Both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And my now my head has tightened, too.....in case any one was worried about my inability to experience uncontrollable laughter. It's true. Only so much fun a body can have sometimes :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I had seen one of those caps! Maybe they were only piloted in certain locales. Anyways, your writing, as always, is brilliant, Paula. And, I admire your generous sense of persistence and joie de vivre! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete