Friday, May 6, 2011

Boroleum

Dear Makers of Boroleum:

     My parents first introduced me to your great product over 30 years ago. The tube said it was manufactured on Fisher's Island, a short ferry ride from their home in New London. I figured they were buying their nasal comfort products locally, and I was happy to support what I thought might be a cottage industry over there on your very small island. I envisioned a family cooking up Boroleum in a little factory in their backyard, perhaps, creating this fabulous product that only a few know about. By now I understand that you are a bigger operation, but I retain the feeling of familiarity with Boroleum and with you, its manufacturers, whenever I buy a new tube for my family's lips and noses.
     It was always a bonus to read the part of the instructions on the tube that encouraged us to "put product well up into the nose." I thought that directive was so bracing, so no-nonsense -- so understanding of what needs to be done when one's nose is too dry. I felt like you were with me and my nose on this adventure called winter -- like we were all in this together.
     When I bought a new tube last week, I looked for the familiar print that would encourage me to do what needed to be done. Alas, it's gone. Instead, the new tube says: "place product at the base of each nostril."*
     What happened? Why suddenly squeamish? I feel like a kid whose parents used to say, "Go out and play -- and have fun!" but now send me out with an anxious warning about cars and strangers and my untied shoe laces.
     If these new instructions are marking a trial period for Boroleum users, please register my vote to change back to the bolder instructions. My family and I will not trip over our laces or push the tube itself well up into the nose. And if we were to, it would be our responsibility. We will not hold you accountable for any over-zealous application of Boroleum.
     Thank you for your kind attention.

paula chu

Dear Ms. Chu:
     Thank you so much for your letter about Boroleum. We love getting mail letting us know our product is valued and has been enjoyed by you and your family for so long.
     We were sorry to learn that you are disappointed with our new packaging and slightly modified instructions. Sinclair Pharmacal was advised recently to update the usage instructions for Boroleum to make them clearer to product users and to eliminate any confusion about how Boroleum is meant to be applied. Please rest assured that we will continue to offer you and your family many winters to come of Boroleum's soothing comfort!
     Thank you for your loyalty, and thank you for writing with your feedback.


Sincerely,
L.S.


P.S. [this is written in her own hand in the corner of the page] My family and I continue to place Boroleum well up into our noses :-)

Dear L:

     Thank you, thank you for your letter. It saddens me that Sinclair has been advised that the risk is too great to instruct Boroleum users as if we were sensible owners of noses. But I do understand.
     I very much appreciated your handwritten note as well. I am glad to have your family in the closet with mine.

Yours in subversion,
paula chu

*I wrote this letter several years and many tubes ago. The directions now say merely: "Apply to affected area not more than 3 to 4 times daily."

4 comments:

  1. You are absolutely priceless, p. Have you thought about including one of these letters on your new site :-)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I love the handwritten post-script!
    Happy Mother's Day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Paula,
    I'm going to go out an get a tube of Boroleum right away! Maybe it will help all the kids in my school who get spontaneous nosebleeds. Your writing is so persuasive, the company should put you on their Board of Directors or in their Marketing Department asap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mom was a loyal Boroleum customer/user and I have always been as well. However I do not see it very often on display in pharmacies anymore. Do you have a reliable source other than online purchases?

    ReplyDelete