Sunday, May 15, 2011

Walter Chronkite

August 1968
Dear Walter Chronkite:
     You must be very tired, now that the Democratic National Convention is finally over. I could tell while watching you that you were getting tired. I hope you can find time to rest now that you are back home. I'll bet you have lots of stories to tell after Chicago, and I hope your family wants to hear them.
     My parents have been watching the CBS News since we got a TV. Through this summer I've been watching with my godfather, who is visiting and says to tell you hello. My parents will only watch you, and I guess we have all come to trust things you tell us about. We trust you, Walter Chronkite.
     Things seem pretty complicated right now. I know I am only 12, but other people seem to think it is a complicated time, too. I wanted to write to thank you for being someone that brings comfort each night, and a little courage, too.

Paula Chu, New London, Connecticut


Dear Paula,
     Mr. Chronkite has asked me to write to thank you very much for the kind letter you sent him. He is grateful for your message of support, and hopes you and your grandfather [sic] are both well.
     Sincerely,
     Mrs. R. Mankiewicz, Assistant to Walter Chronkite

September 1980
Dear Walter Chronkite:

     I wrote to you when I was, I think, maybe thirteen. It was a typical precocious fan letter, as I recall. You were in Chicago for the '68 convention, and your secretary wrote a brief and friendly reply for you.
     That was the extent of our contact -- until the other night, when I had the following GREAT dream:
     It's hard to begin where I should probably begin, but I need to get a running start for the sake of continuity and memory. The dream began with me counseling a friend (I am, by profession, a counselor). I had a superb session -- a "cure" as we half-jokingly call it.  I note the ego strength of the dream so far (and throughout, I suppose) with some embarrassment.
     Just then the phone rings. I answer it, and you say, "paula, hi! How're you doing? It's been a long time since we've been in touch."
     I say, "Walter Chronkite, well goddamn, how ARE you?"
     We begin to talk about the pressures of your job, as do two old friends.
     I hear you say, "I don't know. The pressure is kind of getting to me. All this election stuff is too much. And it made me uncomfortable when they came up with that idea about me running for president. Sheesh!"
     I empathize and say, "Well, Walter, you know they really mean well. I know you don't want the job, but what they're saying is that you have a real lot of influence in this country. Next to the president, you have perhaps the greatest influence on the people, in terms of getting information to them, explaining things to them, and all that. You know what I mean?"
     "Yeah, I guess," you say, kind of humbly.
     We talk on and on like this for quite awhile, and I am walking down the street with the phone, now and then noticing with delight how far my phone cord stretches, and being really pleased that I ordered one so long. Suddenly my arm jerks back, and I realize that the cord has come to its end.
     "Walter, the cord won't reach any further. I've got to turn back."
     "Okay, sure" you say.
     Then, who should come on the line but (get this) ELDRIDGE CLEAVER. Eldridge says, "How're you folks doin'?" and chats a bit in his friendly way.
    We talk only a minute, and then I notice that you've been quiet. I say, "Walter? Did you hear all that?"
     "No, who was it?"
     "Eldridge Cleaver!"
     "Wow. Eldridge. I haven't talked with him in a long time," you say with warmth and some nostalgia in your voice.
     I finally reach the source of the cord, and we close the conversation.
     "Well, paula," you say, "I'm glad we had this contact. You be in touch."
     "You bet, Walter. I promise I'll write to you. It's so nice of you to call. You take care of yourself. Bye, Walter."
     "Bye, paula."

     I am someone who keeps agreements. I said I would write and, by gum, I am mailing this letter to you.
     I hope you are well, and that you are dealing well with the pressures of your job. From what you said in the dream, "retirement" in November will be both a relief and a difficult transition for you. At least that part sounds plausible and likely accurate. May the relief carry you smoothly through the challenges. Thanks for everything, truly.

paula chu, Harwinton CT

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this, p! I write to people, too. Authors whose books I've really loved. People whose web sites I appreciate for whatever reason I have been moved by them. I really love that you have these letters from long ago. LONG AGO, old woman :-). Fun to see that p is not far from paula, the girl. Thanks for sharing all these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Amazing! Walter Cronkite was an iconic, fatherly figure in so many American homes. I remember watching him take off his glasses, pause, gather himself and announce JFK's death. I was 10 yrs. old and scared to death!

    I wish I had gone sailing with Walter Cronkite. I wish I had written him and told him so.

    So glad you followed your muse, Paula!

    ReplyDelete