Tuesday, May 17, 2011

these letters

The first two letters I've posted are essentially the same letter. Both have virtually the same message to large companies: Hooray for your creativity and fearlessless! And then -- where did it go?

I imagine this repeated message says something about my own struggles with creativity, with going off script. It is easy to coach others in living large.

Having fun with letters to people I will never meet has something to do with how I resolve the tension between my need for connection and my need for boundaries. Even being a counselor is relationship-over-fence. My clients and I go as deep as we can in our time together -- but that time limit is clear. I walk them to the gate - sometimes literally - at the end of the session.

The letter to Walter Chronkite, well, I like to shrink the world like that, to wave across the fence with vim and affection. But the fence -- a lovely, inviting fence, with flowers around it -- is still there.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's a Libra thing :-). I love the way you express this....."how I resolve the tension between my need for connection and my need for boundaries".

    ReplyDelete