Tuesday, June 5, 2012

my little drum

Wandering around after lunch at the writer's conference last month -- that uplifting event where an agent would help me finally understand that cancer books are non-selling downers -- I walked by a little sign that invited people to read a segment of their writing into a microphone. Some would get published in the Drum Literary Magazine. Oh, why not, I thought. I followed the signs into the recesses of the hotel, still fishing lunch from the recesses of my gums.

What should I read? I had only one minute to decide. I pulled out the chapter about Dr. Gao, from the doomed "Flat 'n' Happy." You remember Dr. Gao? Here is his story.

Oh, don't worry that I say doomed. It really is okay. I am, in fact, flat, and I am, in fact, happy. Both things, given their alternatives, as I wanted to tell Dr. Gao, are so, so okay.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds even better out loud, & I already thought sounded fine written. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. COOL!! Congratulations, p. I always thought the agent was wrong, but what do I know? Dr. Gao. I forget that one. I happy now. I remember. I no do hand job either :-)....... practicing my accent. Good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!
    Perfect response to agent's (wrong-headed, in my opinion) dismissal. Yeahhh! You have a beautiful reading voice. I am so excited for you and proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula, the part of your touching essay that moved me the most was when you wrote/spoke of Dr. Gao's hands- the brutality and tenderness of them, how you wanted to smell them.

    It reminded me of some of my comments in the eulogy at my husband's memorial service. I mused that I missed his beautiful hands the most, the long, tapered fingers, the graceful expression of them. I shared that we joked that he should have been a gynecologist instead of an medical internist. The congregation gasped then broke into nervous laughter. My kids blushed and told me later, it was rated X!

    It was a wonderful moment that broke the tension and makes me smile even as I recall it 6 years later. And, yes, I still miss his hands.

    ReplyDelete