Sunday, June 30, 2013

Taylor Swift, revealed

 
   There are certain things I'm deliberately doing to try to stay young. You, too?
     Some are those brain exercises you get at sites like Lumosity, where they lead your brain to the edge of its elasticity and then let it snap back with a thwack. You can remember where 7 squares are, but 8? It's like your brain runs out of the room, hair on fire, when you get to 8. The game essentially says, kindly, "Let's go back to 7, shall we?" Then, since you got so stressed out at 8, you can no longer do 7, and it says, "How about...6? No? How about 5. Can you remember where we put 5 measly things?"
     Laura and I had one of those stark experiences of how worn our brain's elastic is when we played "The Transformation Game" with Ting and Dave last weekend. This is a board game I recently purchased, and it has what seem to Laura and me like rules based on quantum physics (that's a thing, right?). We were referring to the instruction manual every step of the way, like it was for kitchen cupboards from IKEA. But Ting and Dave were whizzing through, reciting the convoluted rules that were brand new to all of us. The difference was that the rules remained brand new to Laura and me each time it was our turn. Dave and Ting would say, "Okay, so now you take 2 awareness cards, take away one pain card from the player of your choice, and then flip the intuition coin to see if you can get an angel token or if you take another pain card." The only card I memorized was the "miracle card," where everyone could return all their pain cards to the box. It was a miracle, all right.
     So the brain thing is a real challenge. I'm also trying to keep limber with physical things: I'm determined to put on my shoes and socks while standing, for example, as long as I can. No sitting on the bed for me; no sir. And lately I've been focusing on getting up from any non-standing position -- sitting in a chair, lying on the floor or in bed, cross-legged for meditation -- without using my hands or arms. Sometimes this is mildly comical, certainly to the gods watching from afar. "Watch this. She's been in bed for 6 hours and she's going to get up without hands or elbows. I love this part."
    The socks and shoes are still easy. I'm aiming for 80 years old, still good on one foot. After that, I'll try to be okay with sitting on the bed.
    But contradictory to these habits, I'm also making some deliberate choices to stay out of the fray, to allow myself to be behind the times. It's an exercise both in keeping my brain young and letting my mind age, too. In a good way.            
     Some of this happens organically, right? Do you know the most popular singing groups these days? Heard any hit music lately? Suddenly you can't even figure out how everyone hears about these things, though I know it just...happens somehow, when you're young.
     When I blogged about thinking that a Kardashian was a kind of a rug, people thought I was joking. You overestimate my engagement in the world of current events. Once that bubble burst and I learned that a Kardashian is actually a person, maybe one that is pregnant by someone else whose name I should probably know, I needed another exercise. I tried assiduously, then, not to learn who Taylor Swift is, despite obvious social pressure to know who the heck people are talking about. It's a cognitive exercise for me; I was trying to keep track of 8 hidden things, and Taylor Swift was one of them. I was pretty sure Taylor Swift was a man, and I wanted to see how long I could go without finding out if that was right or wrong. I understood that s/he sings, but I didn't know what kind of music -- country? I pictured a cowboy hat.
     I told the kids about this project to stay out of the fray du jour, to experience that sense of being out of current loops. They promised not to tell me whether Taylor Swift was a man or a woman; they're so supportive of me and my projects.
     Then, on a long drive while listening to a playlist Yani put on my phone, I hear a nice song. I sing along; it's come up on shuffle a few times before. Oooh, I knew you were trouble when you walked innnnnn...I'm singing along, bouncing from head voice to chest voice in that fun way that makes you feel happy and yodelly. I decide to replay it so I can yodel again, driving along the Mass Pike. I look down at the phone for a second to rewind the song, and there is a picture of the singer: WTF? Taylor Swift? He sings in falsetto and in drag?! 
     That I did not see coming.

3 comments:

  1. LIfe is SO mysterious, isn't it?!

    It is developmentally appropriate for us to be out of certain loops. I would have said the standing on the head one would be a loop appropriately out of now.......but there you go throwing a monkey wrench in that belief.

    Thankfully peer pressure is one I've grown out of at this point....'cause standing on my head.......not happenin'.

    You are AMAZING, p!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Girl, you got some strong abs there! And, you inspire and amaze me once again.

    I used to stand on my head but haven't in a long while. I'll shoulder stand, wheel, tree, etc., but I'm not sure I'll ever headstand again. But, who knows?

    And, thanks for making me aware of using my elbows to get out of bed in the morning. It's now a summer goal to break the habit.

    As for popular culture, I'm not exactly hip but I DO know who Taylor Swift is (it's a miracle you didn't). I just can't keep up with who her boyfriend of the moment is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not alone! I, too, once wondered aloud (embarrassingly enough, to a group of in-the-know friends), "What is a Kardashian?"

    ReplyDelete