Wednesday, April 14, 2010

last round tomorrow

Tomorrow is my last chemo treatment. I actually have ambivalent feelings about ending treatment -- a certain anxiety surges. Still, of course I am very much looking forward to feeling better in a month or so, and the last treatment brings that promise.

I'll write more from the infusion room, or soon thereafter. I have some things to say. But for now, I wanted to post this little face from Laura that greeted me on the kitchen table this morning. For those who will squint to make out the print, below the face it says: "Last treatment tomorrow. Love you madly."

I just love that face.

Avocados are comfort food, something I can eat once again with  pleasure. If she had done the second face, with an oxycontin nose -- which one could aptly do! --it wouldn't have been nearly as cute, you know?

8 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the anxiety, Paula. I feel that, too. But I am glad the chemo is ending. I'm looking forward to your hair growing back. Curious about what it will look like. I'm looking forward to the end of chemo sick. I'm looking forward to laughing with you til my belly hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the second face is still pretty cute.

    Laura Danforth, ever the artiste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Just yay you hauled thru! Good for you. Avacado nose rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paula, What a milestone tomorrow is. I am very proud of you for making it all the way through the protocols. It is never a certainty but you made it! And gave all of us such gifts on these pages.
    After the next week or so I hope every day has food tasting better, energy coming back in small increments and basically, re-entry.
    Still, your anxiety about the end of this "known" set of steps makes sense. There was a prescribed path set by medical professionals and now things are back in your control!
    You are more than capable and will have so much to bring to your practice WHEN you feel ready. I hope you allow yourself some "down" time for fun. I suspect you feel as if you have had nothing but "down" time but this kind of sucked. I mean the kind where you will have your energy back and can just enjoy with gusto some travel, some food or exercise, some hair OR God help us... more of your fashion forays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula,
    Best Wishes tomorrow with your FINAL treatment! May all go smoothly with the infusion and your recovery from it.

    Most of all,I hope that the chemo has blasted any errant cancer cells to smithereens forever.

    I'm looking forward to the things you have to say. How wonderful to be loved madly!

    Cute visuals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to making you a celebratory root beer float, dear Paula!
    Bon courage tomorrow and through the gauntlet of pain -- that last gauntlet -- that will follow. The flowers are blooming! And Laura, and your kids, and a bunch of us others love you madly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, EVERYONE. Love all around.

    ReplyDelete