Thursday, April 22, 2010

to boob or not to boob

Almost wore breasts today. I have a new client coming in -- someone who has waited patiently since February. I wanted her to feel welcome.

Welcome to my therapy office! I have worn these breasts for you.

Pretty quickly, I scrapped the idea, though. Would I have to keep wearing breasts whenever I see this client? What, and then remove them for my 12:00 appointment, who is accustomed to the cookie sheet look? Slip into breasts on alternating Thursday mornings, mark it in my calendar?

So no; no breasts today. I have yet to find the right occasion.

It's Day 4 after chemo and the pain arrived yesterday afternoon with the reliability of a commuter train. The concoction percolating within brings on unexpected gasps of sharp bone pain, even in sleep. I probably should have canceled appointments for today and tomorrow when last week's treatment was delayed, knowing the likelihood that these next several days would be hard ones. As it is, should pain grip me in session, I hope to move smoothly from a gasp to a sincere expression of empathy and concern for the client: [gasp!] "That sounds painful! Tell me more immediately!"

1 comment:

  1. ouch! Sorry the change in chemo dated bumped into clients. I'm not the one going thru it, but you're still the same you with or without breasts. Clients are lucky to have you. My mom seemed to have a problem with hers getting out of place. Just emailed you back this evening, email me or call me re: question.

    ReplyDelete