Thursday, April 5, 2012

haiku

Almost the moment I turned 50, my ovaries began petering out. That September, I wrote this Haiku in their honor:

Tiny firecrackers!
Celebrating fifty years
Ovaries go bang.

I liked that haiku, back then in 2005, particularly with its reference to firecrackers -- a nod to my Chinese ancestors and how they liked to celebrate. In the spirit of historical accuracy, I will admit that there is no evidence that our Chinese ancestors actually marked menopause with firecrackers.

It's a pet peeve of mine that some people think you can write "Haiku" by just stringing together some short lines, willy nilly. Even if people try to keep to the correct 5-7-5 syllable form, sometimes the line breaks don't make sense. So you get exasperating creations like this:

At end of fifty
years, ovaries starting to
go bang. bang. bang. bang. 

It hurts, right? It just plain hurts to read bad Haiku.

You know what else hurts?  My bod. Here is exhibit A.

I was going to try to photoshop a connect-the-dot drawing that included all my frontal scars -- the five new ones from Tuesday, the vertical scar that marks Yani's birth, and the two horizontal ones where my breasts used to be. But all the designs I came up with required a terrible stretch of one's imagination, like the way we all pretend that Ursa Major resembles a great bear. Sure.

Instead, this goodbye message to my bits, through Percoset fog:


Must you go so soon?
Sorry 'bout the mutant gene.
Thanks for the great kids.

...although, strictly speaking, tradition says that Haiku should have some reference to nature. So here is a more proper one:

Sacred cave is dark.
Small light appears with the dawn.
Laura bringing meds.

9 comments:

  1. Hey, good to know your wit and your signature writing style weren't from your uterus or ovaries. Whew :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading Paula's blog
    Sunrise after days of fog
    Bright mind shines, sparkles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scars look good, Paula. Glad this is behind you. Rest up and Heal now. Here's my Easter offering.

    Full pink moon shining
    Light bathes hurt bodies and souls.
    We’re all God’s children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula, are you following the Astronomy Picture of the Day? I am. Look at today's. We are your sister stars. http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120407.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing that with p, Ellen! Check this one out, too, p....http://vimeo.com/39692257. Found it when I followed Ellen's link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that link, Ellen. What a great photo and apropos haiku! Happy Passover/Easter/Spring Everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do follow the Astronomy Picture of the Day, ever since Joan sent the site to the Chu clan. But I hadn't seen today's. How cool is THAT? How cool is the cosmos?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Easter! Rebirth from today on. You are so much more than any internal parts. None of us see those and adore you for the soul we DO see and feel from you.

    Nevertheless, you have made yet another art project from this journey! Who knew?

    XXOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy healing, paula! Seriously, you are a woman warrior.

    ReplyDelete