Saturday, April 28, 2012

oh, dry up, p

     My dad was the child of poor Chinese farmers. He could get enough chicken meat off a carcass to put together two chickens. My mom was an unbelievably good Quaker who was, as incongruous as this comparison may seem, like Spock in her unwillingness to judge others.
     Above and beyond being frugal and generous by nature, both my parents were exceedingly uninterested in objects of monetary value. The single exception would be Chinese paintings, which were to be collected and preserved for one's great-great-grandchildren, who should then give them to a museum or sell them to pay for college tuition. Preferably, my dad would say, at Yale.
     I have to specify that it was objects of monetary value that were uninteresting to them. A piece of driftwood in the shape of a face, or a really good grapefruit, well, those things merited their attention and awe.
     I have not a single memory of my parents commenting on someone else's appearance or belongings, or coveting a material object beyond the driftwood/grapefruit ilk. When a car of theirs would finally sputter to its rusty end, they would surrender it to the junkyard and pick up another lowest end VW.
     They did not shop for clothes, decorative items, tools, appliances, furniture, electronics. These things appeared in their lives because friends and offspring brought them into their house. Since my dad's nickname was Little Frog, they had more frog carvings and candlesticks than you could shake a stick at. They had the same couch all my life, and when we asked Goodwill to come and get it after my parents died, it took four unhappy men to move it. It had been made back in the Stone Age, after all; it was like the Flintstones' couch.
     Food they bought--by the VW-ful--but I don't think purchasing food to serve the constant flow of company counts as materialism. They were just feeding all the people who brought the knick knacks.
     It's lovely, this legacy, but hard to match in my own floppy character. I do covet things. Not a lot, but enough to disapprove of myself. Close blog followers will remember that I can and do wear the same clothes for several days in a row. Honestly, I only wash my jeans because I see Laura throwing hers in the laundry (with what I feel is alarming frequency), and now and then I think she will be pleased to see that I have thought of tossing mine in as well. Did you know that people wash jeans so that they look more "crisp"? This is a WASP secret she revealed to me not long ago.
     I'm having a very non-Quakerly, non-poor Chinese farmer reaction to the process of getting Laura launched in "our" (we try to remember to say "our," but even that effort tells you something) new co-op in Hastings-on-Hudson. The kitchen and bathroom are both being redone before she moves in. It needs a new fridge, a new dishwasher, a new microwave, stove, shower, sinks, a shiny new toilet. With her new job comes a new iPhone, a new laptop, a new iPad. And now that she will be commuting, today she picked up a new car--one that is better on gas and equipped with Bluetooth. That last decision I, worrier that I am about her careening along the highway manipulating a phone and a 3,000 pound car at the same time, fully support. Still, I climb into my perfectly good 2003 car and feel sorry for myself. Then--worse--I feel terrible about feeling sorry for myself, when I actually have so much more than I need. So much more.
     But it's taking place, within me, that unseemly little pout. Laura is going off to be Superwoman at a fabulous school where they put up signs welcoming her and throw parties in her honor, and I am staying in Farmington. She gets to drive the new car and I get to take over the kitty litter.
     I know it's more complicated than this. My pout about stuff is covering a lot of anxiety about our impending separation. But for the moment I am falling painfully short of my own expectations. My inner jerk is having a heyday. I am hoping that exposing it to the light in this way will force it to dry up.
     


5 comments:

  1. I love your parents! I wish I had a chance to know them. I know you, though, so I feel like I've had a wonderful window into the experience of your parents. As far as your inner jerk....sounds like your inner human, p. Bet your mom and dad would totally love her in all the emotions that such a huge transition would bring into the river at this point of the journey. Don't forget the life jacket. Don't forget we're all paddling along side in our kayaks with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula, as always, your raw candor is precious. Just being able to express these anxieties and share your awareness of them is very healthy. ( Do you love my "professional" assessment?)
    Try to think of Laura as commuting! I also suspect that over time, you may enjoy more nesting in Hastings on Hudson than you anticipate. Your "vacation home".
    Laura"s strength and core energy in taking this new role rests heavily on the safe and secure foundation you provide for her. You are playing a very active role by being just who you are.

    You have a cadre of love here for you and it is nice to be needed, so any time, late or last minute, just reach out. You've been there for me and it's my turn!
    xxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. BIG Changes = BIG emotions. There's a LOT happening at once! Laura's new job, Yani all grown up & moving away. It's a new phase of life! The wonderful, solid foundation your parents gave you and that you expanded for yourself and loved ones will bear these changes, I'm sure. Plus, it's a launching platform for YOU, too, Paula.

    This tale is far from over. I look forward to hearing about the interesting places this narrative takes you. Thanks for sharing and taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been thinking about your inner jerk comment.....and thinking about how your "inner" has got to still be re-orienting so profoundly. Probably can't help you feel as anchored yet as it will again when it's done adjusting to the down-sizing that's so recently occurred. So many of your major reference points (inside and out) have changed in fairly recent years. Just thinking.....Enjoy these gorgeous days we're having!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's not about the stuff...and it is so understandable that you feel such a contradictory mix of things. The feeling of being left behind (even if that's not really what is happening) is probably the hardest thing to endure at this point with all that you have been through. Maybe some TLC for that "inner", a big loving hug to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete