Friday, May 4, 2012

Coming out as Fasian

     When Yani was in high school, she was part of a group of students who called themselves Fasians. They were of various Asian stripes, either second or third generation, raised in this country. Each of them felt strongly about their Asian heritage, as does Yani, but also felt a bit sheepish about it. Like they were claiming Asian roots, enjoying that identity, but also felt a bit like fakes. Hence Fasian.
     If you were to show me ten paintings -- landscape or still life -- of different cultural origins, and asked me which most soothes my heart, which belongs on my walls, I would pick the Chinese one without hesitation. I grew up learning that those inky watercolor strokes defined beauty, just as another child grew up learning that Mozart's  music is sublime. Or that mashed potatoes (my dad always thought it was "smashed potatoes") is comfort food. Or for someone else, that whale blubber was a delicacy. Or for someone else, that bagpipes sound pretty. This last one is merely a hypothetical possibility.
     I carry that Chinese sensibility within me, that sense of what is lovely. And I feel a connection to my Chinese ancestors that I cannot articulate, but feel deep in my bones.
     However, I cannot speak Chinese, save for a few phrases here and there, a few body parts, some social howdy-dos (hau di du, maybe), and extremely colorful curses. I have always felt bad about that. "Come eat," "tastes great," "want some more?" and "no, thanks, I'm full" can only carry you in a pretty fixed conversational context.
     I also am not a great Chinese cook. Though my dad was a fabulous cook, I have come to see that, save for the simplest of sous chef tasks (rinse the jiotsai, for example), he wasn't really interested in our "help." He could make a paper-thin dumpling skin in about 4 seconds. For me, it took ten times as long and came out the texture and thickness of an earlobe. When Pop died, I took his bright red apron and edited it as you see here.
    So when Laura, who is delusional and wildly optimistic enough to think that maybe I can cook, volunteered to offer a "Chinese meal for 6" to the Fieldston School parent auction, the Fasian in me freaked out. Though she retracted the offer with an apologetic phone call to the school right away, that message got lost (or auctioned off, maybe) and the school offered a home-cooked Chinese meal for 6 with the new Principal. 
     Imagine our surprise when, at a recent reception, a delighted parent chirped to Laura, "I'm the one who bought your Chinese meal for 6!"
     I have been unreasonably freaked out about this, and I think it is a complicated thing about Laura and me on one level (more on this later), and about my sense of identity on another. Blog followers of color may understand this the best, I am thinking. Though I appreciate that being "white" in our culture has its own complexity, I think most white people don't worry about demonstrating that they are adequately white.
     Fortunately, we have in our lives a fabulous "white" ex-sister-in-law, Holly, who is an amazing "Chinese" chef. I called her first to rant, then to cry, and then to plead. "Help me, Obi-Wan," I said into the phone. "You're my only hope." Holly is going to swoop in, Jedi (jie dai) Chef fashion. I still feel bad, though, and so does Laura.
     Life sometime seem very complicate.

4 comments:

  1. I actually think I hear your father's voice in the last line. Too bad you can't channel him in the kitchen, too :-). Thank God for Holly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Paula,
    So, you are sooooooo NOT being left behind.... You have been offered up as a prize by Laura! I am most impressed with the clever Cyrano de Bergerac chef support you summoned. You three resolved this so cleverly. Now just have fun with the night! not complicate any more.
    Well done!
    And so begins the Fieldston journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, Paula... But, isn't it great when those who love us think we are more capable than we think we are ourselves?

    I wish I could offer you the kitchen help of my late husband, Jim. He was a "competitive" chef, self-taught, who went through phases of cooking. I have the bookcase of 100 cookbooks to prove it! Once we returned home from New Orleans with a suitcase of cajun spices and cookbooks beginning that "blackened" phase. Before that, there was a Chinese food phase. He became so accomplished at it that my mother recruited him to cook a 6 course meal for a dinner party of 20 of her friends. I remember chopping for hours as his sous and swearing that we would never do this again!

    That was always a tension in our relationship. He loved the challenge of gourmet cooking for friends and family and I always preferred a simple meal and socializing. Plus, he made a huge mess and I was up late washing pots and pans for hours after one of his triumphs.

    Funny, we both grew up on the plainest, "smashed" potato servings, accompanied by bagpipe music. My cooking has improved since Jim passed but I still love the mournful tones of the bagpipes. Must be the Irish in me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing as you seem to have inherited the painting gene more than the cooking one, I suggested you paint some steamed fish, mu-shu pork, scallion pancakes, photograph the paintings, transfer the images to ceramic plates (there's software now to help you do this) and present the plates to the winner. Ben

    ReplyDelete