Thursday, August 22, 2013

wedding bells are gonna chime

     Remember that song? "I'm hurt! She's mad! Wedding bells are gonna chime!"
     That's what I always heard in the 1960s "Do Wa Diddy" song. It wasn't until I was singing along 20 some years ago, with kids in the backseat, that my error came to light. It's awkward being busted when you're singing at full volume, but that moment was such an eye opener. The correct lyrics made so much more sense. Ohhhhh, I thought. "I'm hers, she's miiiiine." Right. That does sound better.
     But then again, so what if the lyrics didn't make sense. When the Turtles sang, "So happy together! How is the weather?" we all stomached those sorry lyrics.
     And anyway, surely some couples get married when one of them is hurt and the other a little bit mad. I thought maybe the couple in the song was getting married in spite of their moods, which was a positive indicator of the depth of their love. And they were singing happily about it all. It's almost Zen.
     Well. It was great moods all around on the day Ting and Dave got married. We all gathered to celebrate love, hope, forgiveness, gratitude, and joy itself. Why don't we have these celebrations all the time? Those are good things to celebrate.

     Your heart feels full in these moments. Somehow in the process of the wedding of your kid -- your amazing, beautiful kid, whom someone wonderful has chosen as life partner -- even as you are standing  in the very Center of Life, you can also feel yourself take a step aside.

2 comments:

  1. Life is so incredibly amazing, isn't it?! Congratulations all around. What a cool photograph!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Mother(s)-in-Law!

    The wedding song that still goes round and round my head from childhood is "Chapel of Love" by the Dixie Cups. I love it and know all the words.
    But on the summer day last year when my son, Glen, married all I could hear was "Mother-in-Law" by Ernie K Doe!
    I totally understand what you mean in your last wonderful sentence, Paula. I felt myself climb in the back seat. It felt right and good but somewhat bittersweet at the same time. Life truly is all about change and growth.

    ReplyDelete