Sunday, August 11, 2013

you never have to ask me that again

     Laura and I are gradually developing a list of things we never need to ask each other again. So far she's given me permission never to ask her again: "Do you mind if I put some protein powder in the smoothie?" That's gonna save a lot of time and breath.
     I'm letting her off the hook for the following: "Is it okay that I'm not wearing a bra?"and "Do you care if my hair is like this?" It's always okay, and I never care.
     Now that we've conceived of the notion of such a list of things, I hope it becomes long and varied. Still, you want some questions to remain. I sort of hope we never get to not asking things like: "Do you feel like driving or do you want me to?" When a couple gets into automatic assumptions about who is going to drive, when either could -- I dunno. Something tends to get funky. So maybe it needs to be a short list, comprising things that are really, really okay never to ask again.
     So far, it's just those three questions.

     While I'm sharing (I know it's been awhile, for which I have some excellent alibis, and an apology), I will mention that Laura and I are today breaking in our new shoes for Ting's wedding next weekend. More to the point, we are breaking in our feet. Lots of women's feet are heel-ready; ours are not. But we are aiming to pull off the illusion that this is how we always walk: on tiptoes; legs not bending much, but instead moving past each other like the spikes of a compass. Except held together, and not making a circle.
     You can see we are still trying to get clear on the concept and its execution.




4 comments:

  1. Will you be wearing the heels everywhere today? I hope I didn't miss an opportunity to see you two at Whole Foods in your shorts and heels :-).

    The gift of assumption is wonderful. Life in relationship becoming more and more seamless while at the same time remaining alive and fresh is something to treasure. You two rock.

    Welcome back to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on Ting's wedding. I hope the heels make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I saw that photo,Paula, I knew something was up. Wow, Congrats on the upcoming nuptials! Mazeltov and Joy all around!

    Take a tip from me, having been through the wedding shoe thing last summer. Kick off the heels after the ceremony and formal photos and bring a comfy pair for the reception and wild dancing later on. Or just go barefoot, even better.

    Nice list, by the way. Life simplified.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well-heeled!

    I want to hear your alibis and explanations for your absence. Maybe after the wedding.

    ReplyDelete