Thursday, April 3, 2014

sometimes the Universe listens REALLY closely

I've been hesitating to tell you this, but...I think I killed the blog. I didn't mean to! It was just a draft I made -- the same night I posted about the carn-sarn meditating cat. Just writing about the end of taotechu in draft form made it happen.  I'm telling you: be careful where you point your minds, gentlefolk.

Ever since I wrote a closing, I haven't been able to write in the blog. The "dinner conversation" I posted yesterday wasn't writing as much as it was transcribing my thoughts. I wanted to see if the blog could be resuscitated. Apparently not.

"Keyboard mightier than cannon." I dictated that into my phone in the middle of the night not long ago as I pondered the power of my draft to bring this blog to a halt. It was a sleepy, half-baked update (cannons not being tremendously du jour) about the pen being mightier than the sword. In the morning I check my notes, and the phone's autocorrect has written "Keyboard mightier than Canon."

For a moment the English major within me stirs. I muse on the meaning of this auto-misconstrual in the context of the literary Canon. Since the keyboard (pen, typewriter, whatever) created the Canon, isn't there something true in there -- that the individual's written truth is mightier than the collective whole of the Canon?

It takes a moment to realize my phone is not being witty or erudite. It is thinking of its buddy -- Canon. Like the printer or the camera. Its fellow technological device. Comrade in arms. Partner in crime. BFF.

What I meant about the mighty keyboard was this: Even though I didn't post it, when I wrote that I was ending the blog, the Universe heard. That's mighty. It's possibly mightier than the cannon.

I'll revisit the draft and see if it still speaks truth. If it does, I will post it sometime soon.

2 comments:

  1. If this no longer feeds your soul, then write somewhere else. Everyone in this universe needs you to write, p. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seconding Laura's comment, p. As long as you let the address be known this fan will follow your musings.....perhaps to the book store :-)?

    ReplyDelete