Thursday, January 14, 2010

are-you-still-alive appointment

This is actually what my oncologist calls the one week, post-first round of chemo appointment. I blink through the sentence I hear her say: "My office will call you to schedule your are-you-still-alive appointment." It puzzles me that she thinks it might be fun to call it this. "Haha, ya nut. What a funny time I've had this week. And I am still alive! Isn't that a hoot?!"

Yani brought me to my AYSA appointment this afternoon. Her perspective on my oncologist is less judging than my own. I'm sure my mind is forming some unpleasant associations between my doctor and chemo; I know I'm not being fair. Yani's coaching afterwards makes me feel kind of bad about myself. "She's just doing her job, mom. She seems very informed to me." "I know," I say. "It's just that I wish she had more...." I was about to say curiosity. Yani beats me to the punch. "Curiosity?" she guesses. "Oh my god, yes! How did you know?" "Mom, you think anyone you object to lacks curiosity." I did not know that. Really? Huh.

This all started when I began to ask various people at the doctor's office what the term "STAT" stands for. The person who checked me in. The person who took my blood. The person who took my pressure. Is it an acronym? No one had any idea. Not even the doctor, who went through years of med school and trained in the emergency room where she probably shouted "stat" into the phone all the time. It mattered less that she didn't know: I wanted her to be someone who would want to know, stat.

I prefer that she be expert, of course. But delight in learning is a core value for me, and I have a harder time connecting to someone who doesn't seem to have it. Wondering about stuff, and loving to find stuff out is much more interesting to me in a person than sheer brilliance or an inability to write this sentence without saying "stuff" twice. All my childhood, a huge dictionary was in the living room or dining room, and we often interrupted meals and conversations with a quick background check on a definition of some object or term. I remember as a young child wishing that "I had my own biologist" so that I could ask him or her any question that arose in my mind. And now in 2010, google is my own biologist, dictionary, encyclopedia, and playmate.

Upshot of the AYSA appointment: My counts are low. That's a sentence I've never heard myself say before. Like way low, apparently; enough so that if they don't bounce soon "lots of other oncologists would stop treatment, but I tend to be pretty aggressive about staying the course."

Yani, the enlightened one, thinks that it's kind of nice to see numbers that demonstrate why I feel poopy. Kind of like a reality test, she says: oh, cool, so that explains the low energy. My reaction is "Ack! My counts are making me feel poopy! And Yani is making me feel bad about myself!"

The doctor vetoed the dentist appointment I had scheduled for next week: "your mouth is a cesspool right now, paula, and your counts are too low to have them picking around in there." (Just googled cesspool and learned that it is one word -- very interesting).

I also learned that since I am among those who got heartburn from the very start of chemo, I'm going to have it throughout, and need to take stuff ("stuff" is a great word -- where did it come from? will I use it more and more as chemo brain seeps in?) every day for 4 months to prevent it. Rats.

I begged the doctor to let me take something other than the prescribed lorazepam for sleep. I hate lorazepam. It is reducing my REM sleep, for sure. I need that. Last night I took the formula my naturopath prescribed, and slept much better. When I taught psychology, one of my favorite parts of the year was getting to talk to adolescents about why sleep matters, why getting REM sleep matters in particular. That's when memories stick or get tossed, with the selective sorting of adaptive, health-fostering memories. That's when the ravell'd sleeve of care gets knitted up and all that. I want that part of sleep. Dr. D is looking into it, and I am on the edge of my bed hoping for a thumbs up. No joke.

I would like to close with a rant about my chemo-damaged taste buds. It's the worst symptom so far, and I could cry, and have, just thinking about it. Have lost 3 pounds this week, which is no big deal, but if I don't figure out how to keep eating food despite the rancid oil taste that my tongue exudes as I eat, I know it will be bad boogie in the stamina department.

Stat comes from Latin: statim, meaning immediately.  If you looked that up before finishing this post, you have both my admiration and sympathy.

4 comments:

  1. I was just about to tell you that "stat" means "statim"... but I also feel like a Slumdog Millionaire, since this is pretty the one instance in which my education is of any real value- take that, student loans!

    On a similar note, did you know that when the Romans encountered the Parthians, they were amazed by the Parthians' ability to fight on horseback? In particular, the Parthians were able to ride backwards on their horses and shoot arrows as they rode away. Since we stopped fighting Parthians a long time ago, we've forgotten the phrase "Parthian shot." And that's why we say "parting shot."

    Glad you're still alive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phuc -- You're a Latin teacher. No points for knowing statim. Major points for the parting shot, however. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off topic, but Phuc - you're a Latin teacher? That is so cool! I have this idea that mandatory Latin in elementary schools could save our educational system. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Ellen - i took several years of Latin in high school- made learning Spanish a breeze...and makes English make more sense...I am a wordgirl too, but Paula, your points about curiosity and the always craving to go deeper, always learning, making connections, always wondering, then pursuing that path til you know...geez. I am with you .The tech who couldn't tell you what MUGA stood for, and the fact that people use "STAT!" as work lingo without knowing what they are saying, really, and not really caring to know - bugs me too. I love teaching writing because sometimes it's like trying to start the fire with two sticks - working hard to make the dust hot, to finally spark the the smallest, fluffiest tinder - of curiosity...always hoping to get the big fire going...I am rambling but have been thinking so much about your encounters with the health care machine. You do need to feel more connection with your doctor than you're feeling. Something IS wrong with your relationship with her.You keep taking some responsibility for that,but I sense the obstacle is in her. She is merely human,(though a way intelligent human) but maybe she has a problem connecting with her patients for obvious reasons. You are very vulnerable, and she may use that to keep you there so she does not have to connect with you more. Maybe you could ask her (if the moment opens) what the best part of her work is for her, and what the worst is. Maybe tell her what you do and tell her how curious you are about how she can be so deep into what she does knowing about the possibilities of loss. Caregivers are often not taken care of (I know you know this). I find nothing normal or funny about an "AYSA" appointment. I have never heard of another oncology office calling this follow up appointment such a name. It seems like a twisted way to acknowledge the first pass through the dark forest full of night and scary things in the dark - like "Yes, we know this is really awful, but we've heard it so many times before..." so it gets compartmentalized. I suspect it is "compassion fatigue" - I left critical care nursing and ER because it was looming all around me...I did not succumb, but I did move out of those surroundings. I think you should trust your feelings about what you need and want from your doctor. In many ways your life is in her hands. Remember that exercise in trust where you close your eyes and fall back into the group around you and trust you will be caught? She needs to make you feel like she would be there to catch you- every time.You have support from so many around you, but that is not the same thing you need from her- she is busy and works hard- and it's not her time you're after, I think , but rather some thread of a warmer connection so you feel safe, and able to ask her questions, and express your outrage, sadness and fear, not just find out clinical information about your "counts". That is part of her job, just by taking you on as her patient -it is NOT too much to expect. My job as a nurse is to advocate for people making their way through the system, the dark forest, so I suppose I have slipped into what comes natural to me, verbose as this may be. So my posted comment has become a rambling essay. Wish I could be there with you. I am new to the "blog" so I hope i have not broken any blog "rules" in the "Post a comment" section. The wolf in Januuary is hypervigilant, all senses piqued and aware, she is a pack animal and needs her pack to hunt, stay warm, and survive the winter. She knows all about dark, scary forests, I think she can see in the dark...

    ReplyDelete