Friday, March 12, 2010

a pause for Casey

A client of mine died two days ago, in the middle of a battle with leukemia that we all thought was going to last much longer, a battle we thought she might even win. She was 19, and we had been working together for three-and-a-half years. We had a session on Monday, in my chatroom, since she was in the hospital, secluded for weeks in her room while they lowered her immune system in preparation for a bone marrow transplant from her brother. She was having a relatively good day on Monday, though she was deeply tired of being so weak. On Tuesday afternoon, an infection raged through her and she was gone within hours.

Her family asked me to write the obituary, as they were in such pain and disorienting grief that no one could stay focused long enough to do it. Never again do I want such an honor. Laura, who knows Casey and her family well, has guided them by the arm through every step of the memorial service planning. They are blind with grief.

It is not the usual thing to have one's therapist speak at one's memorial service, but they have asked me to do the main eulogy as well, with full disclosure that I was her therapist. Writing it has been delicate, sad work. I want to bring comfort to Casey's friends and family, to protect her privacy forever, and still speak truth about all she had to bear.

In the meantime, a half-written blog entry sits somewhere in cyberspace. It will need to wait. I am birthing a story about a lovely, hard life and an inexplicable, early death.

8 comments:

  1. Paula, I am truly sorry. How very sad and tragic! How good that you and Laura are there for Casey's family.

    What a beautiful girl!

    Take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 and 1/2 is a large fraction of 19 and the years you shared with Casey were during the critical years of adolescence. In some ways I think you have lost not just a client but a "daughter' and the loss of a child is one of the cruelest of all. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula,
    I am so sorry that such a loss has come to you. I know she meant much to you as the client that you refused to give up as you were getting ready for your own toughening journey. I'm so glad for both of you that you made that choice.
    My support is with you as you write this very tough eulogy. Whatever you write will be perfect for more reasons than the words. You are gift to Casey's family at this time.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is beautiful in this picture, her smile, her energy. Paula, thank you so much for supporting her as a therapist, keeping her as a client during your own hard times, and honoring her now. Bless you & Laura for helping her family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula, I hold you, and Casey's spirit, and Casey's family, in all the light as I can muster.
    Love, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reflecting today on how much this blog-- your writing it, Paula-- touches me in very unexpected ways. It brings home to me what's important, grounds me, really. Thank you so much for doing this. I know it's about your managing, but I think it's become about more than that now.
    love,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete