Monday, March 1, 2010

time and poison

I am a terrible backseat driver with Time. Slow down! Hurry! Stop right here. Go there, now. Terrible.

It is March, at last. And still I am dissatisfied and want this tantalizing month to hurry its way through.

If you are someone who wants to savor the moments of this month, with its promise of warming earth and new growth, may my cajoling of time have the opposite effect on your experience of its passing. May time move like moss for you.

For months now, I have been dogging time to hurry the heck up. My days have been dragging their sorry asses through time as I wait to feel less chemo-sick. Laura and I are actually doing the iffy practice of crossing days off the calendar. January's 31 days and February's 28 are crossed off, but March and April have no blue highlighter Xs at all, and they look endless.

I remember crossing off days during particularly long semesters in high school; I'm pretty sure it doesn't help. But it's hard to stop now. It's like watching the big clock in the station when you are waiting for someone you love to arrive on a train that is late, maybe even broken down somewhere along its tracks. You're tired and anxious. You look at the clock so often that you accidentally slow down time.

Time passes slowly when you feel crummy; I am gathering lots of data on this.

A number of people have asked me if it helps to think of the chemo as sending in little soldiers to blast away at cancer cells. Someone else asked if I had considered that I embody the battle between David and Goliath. I wonder if I am supposed to embrace these metaphors for battling the enemy, battling evil. It just doesn't feel true to me.

What does feel true is that I'm getting poisoned. Oh, I understand why I'm getting poisoned. And while I have very deliberately elected to undergo this treatment, there is no denying what is actually happening. When in the course of a few weeks your hair falls out, your gums recede, your teeth ache, your whole mouth is rotting, food tastes like toxic waste, your eyes tear yet are painfully dry, your body moves through space as though air has thickened, chowder-like, this is medicinal poison doing its work.

An oncologist friend said point-blank, "Oh, this will damage your heart." I appreciated his honesty, but it is hard to think of all the nice body tissue that is paying the price while we hunt down a few terrorist cells (again with the military metaphor!) that might be hiding out in the dark corners of my body.

Certain things give me an actual whiff of the poison inside me -- the smell of dishwashing detergent seems to be the worst, but some soaps are not much better. Coffee grounds, bananas, steaming soup, peanut butter -- anything that gets the olfactory factory up and running -- churns up the chemicals inside me, too, bringing the poison to the surface of my consciousness and my tongue.

I'm anxious about the new poison that is coming on Thursday: taxol. When the doctor writes on the instruction sheet: "OKAY to take narcotics," it's hard not to be anxious. Like pretty much any narcotics, I think. "What have you got leftover from surgery?" she asks. Oh, this narcotic, that narcotic. "Okay, take those."

I did negotiate to take a bit lower a dosage of pre-infusion steroids. Since you're in danger of having a sensitivity (read "possible life-threatening allergic reaction") to taxol, you're supposed to take 5 Decadron at bedtime the night before treatment, then 5 more at 6 a.m. I got her down to 4 instead of 5; a bone she tossed to the patient who worries about sleep. Essentially you should expect to pull an all-nighter before treatment; the steroids will keep you up. Then you are wired all the day of treatment, and then you crash. Like for 4 days of exhaustion and pain. But you get to take narcotics for the pain.

Remember me on narcotics last time? They're what brought about the Hell of Constipation, and led to Laura the gladiator's willingness to do the unthinkable to rescue me. Gosh, I hate to go back there. I'll bet she does, too.

It's bedtime, March 1. I'm going to get the blue highlighter and cross off the day. Come on, Time, let's head to bed. We can both rest there for awhile.

3 comments:

  1. An old friend who I have not seen since about 1970 sent me a connection to the Viet Nam Wall this morning. I read about two guys with whom I grew up, my best friend and a first cousin. In 1969 they died within a month of each other at age 19, Steve and Richard Smith, no known relationship except through Eve and Adam. One had been in Viet Nam for 50 days and the other married while in boot camp and was in Viet Nam for almost 3 months. They never had a chance. I cry for them often, but as I struggle along still hoping to find a job, praying with you as you go through sheer torture and my Uncle Harry who lost his wife of 49 years three years ago, had his leg amputated last year and a stroke this year, I am happy that neither of the three of us are dying young in an insane war, and we each are determined to win our own struggle. I do not believe I have ever written a longer sentence! My favorite aunt used to sing, "I'm on the battlefield for my Lord." This angelic woman had not an ounce of violence inside, but the point I learned from her song was that she was determined to be a good person despite everything (11 major surgeries, five heart attacks, three amputated toes, diabetes that blinded her in the end, never being able to give birth although she loved babies, two abusive husbands). No evil could break her down and I am convinced by your spirit that, Paula, you have the same energy. I love and admire you as a truly great person and happily lend you whatever strength I can summon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if Buddha came up with the 'being in the moment' stuff when he was young and healthy.
    I hope you and Time find many moments of peace together, dear sister.
    Love, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a long winter in Iowa and we've been counting the days and yes, striking them off one by one on the calendar. I was away for 10 days and returned to find winter receding and more brown than white in the neighborhood. I walked the dog yesterday and was sobered by the scars of winter with debris and broken tree limbs and wounded lawns and pitted roads. Much work to be done. I know you want the battle with the chemo to be done so you can move on to the healing of your body and rebuilding of your life. Your blog is so remarkable because you are so frank and because you are able to see yourself outside of yourself. Thank you for sharing with us. Please know we are all here to cheer you on.

    ReplyDelete