Monday, March 8, 2010

sewage, and I don't mean food

Our sewer pipe clogged yesterday and nasty stuff bubbled up in the flower bed against the house. Today plumbers put 200 feet of snakery down the pipe, and they still couldn't clear it. Turns out that part of the problem is that the former owners appear to have thrown hundreds of "flushable" wipes down the drain. We've lived in this house for 5 years and all those wipes are still intact, living la vida loca in our drainage pipe. In the violence of trying to clear the clog of baby wipes and maple tree roots today, the circa 1920 ceramic pipe broke in several places. It's going to be a very expensive, smelly mess, tearing up the yard all the way down to the road.

"I haven't seen this kind of a mess in 40 years of sewer work" was an unfamiliar sentence to me, and I'm still unsure of the appropriate response. I gave the plumbers an apologetic wave as they drove off till tomorrow. My smile was friendly, but weak. I think this is how you handle these things, but again, I'm not sure.

We've been instructed to use water sparingly -- flushing only, um, under duress.

God works in the weirdest possible ways, cause I'm thinking it's an almost perfect time to be constipated from these painkillers.

3 comments:

  1. Yikes!!!

    My friend,Lee(Leonora), calls this kind of thing one of "God's lunatic diversions".

    Kinda takes your mind off that other thing for a moment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing humor in such things -- and not making them bigger than they are -- are among your great gifts, Paula. You inspire me.
    Love, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Paula, that's sounds so awful! Perhaps, as a distraction from chemo, you might consider taking on a role in the What-Not-To-Flush Commission so that those wipes will be banned once and for all, thus sparing others from sharing your sewer's fate? Just an idea...

    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete